The mission of The White River Municipal Water District is to provide the highest quality drinking water and customer service for our recreational, retail and wholesale customers. Sustainable economical rates will be used to operate and maintain the water system infrastructure. Our customers are the most valuable part of our water district and we are here to serve them.
Please Contact the District Office to Sign Up Now for Online Bill Payments Pay Water Bill Online Now
CREATION HISTORY White River Municipal Water District was created on May 15, 1957 by an act of the State of Texas legislature. Reference to any constitutional, statutory and charter pursuant to which the application was organized is Article XVI, Sec. 59 of Texas Constitution, reference Article 8280, Sec. 198 –Vernon’s Ann. Civil Statutes.
The District is comprised of four member Cities. They areCrosbyton, Post, Ralls and Spur located in Crosby, Dickens, and Garza counties. Each City appoints three Directors to serve two year terms on the White River Municipal District Board of Directors. District Directors in September of 1957 made a resolution to start the application process with the Federal Housing and Home Finance Agency to construct a dam and reservoir, filtration plant, pipelines to the four cities and necessary pumping facilities for a loan estimated to cost $4,000,000.
During the application process, the four member cities were required to submit documentation on how the “Public Need to be Met by the Proposed Public Work” could relieve the communities of the existing limited public drinking water supplies. It is worthy to note that the 1950’s suffered one of the most devastating droughts on record. Also, each city held elections for the creation of the district and for Bonds funding the project. Three of the cities recorded the tally of each election in a letter to the Housing and Home Finance Agency. The combined votes in favor of creation of the district totaled 1,226 and 17 against. The combined votes in favor of bonds to construct the project totaled 780 and 52 against.
In summary, the documentation submitted to the Housing and Home Finance Agency reflected the dire situation the drought had caused on the local economy and projected community growth rates and how the farming irrigation systems along with the lack of available groundwater or surface water in quantity and quality in the geological region had deteriorated since 1950. On January 12, 1960, the District received final approval of a $2,700,000 loan from the Ft. Worth office of Housing and Home Finance Agency.
The facilities were finally constructed at a cost of $3.3 million dollars and each of the four Cities began receiving drinking water by August of 1965.